Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day

We had such a fun pioneer day! Between Monday and today the kids and I have done several things to remind us of Pioneer Day. I have tried to teach my children why we celebrate July 24th and what it means to us, why it is important. We had a Pioneer Treasure Hunt where the treasure was some sugar cane sticks, and we sang songs. Today we had a Pioneer Dinner, beef stew with Johnny Cake and Honey Butter. We made Whirlagigs (a toy the children use to play with) and had so much fun! You would think with all this I would have captured some great pictures but I was so caught up in the moment that the day was done and they are now in bed. I will try and get a picture of them playing with the whirlagig soon. I try and make it a day to celebrate and remember no matter where I live. I look forward to Saturday when I can see the Pioneer Day broadcast via satellite. I am so grateful for the pioneers that did what they did and endured all that they came across so we could practice our religion freely. I hope someday to thank them. :) Happy Pioneer Day!

1 comment:

MadMama said...

Desi! I saw your post on Mandi's page! How are you? You guys look wonderful! Your little girls look so much like you!